Friday, June 29, 2012

"... it lies within ... the duty of all of us ..."

"... it lies within the power as well as the duty of all of us to recognize not only the possibility that we might be wrong but the virtual certainty that on some occasions we are bound to be.  The fact that this is so does not absolve us from the duty of having views and putting them forward.  But it does make it incumbent upon us to recognize the element of doubt that still surrounds the correctness of these views.  And if we do that, we will not be able to lose ourselves in the transports of moral indignation against those who are of opposite opinion and follow a different line, we will put our views forward only with a prayer for forgiveness for the event that we prove to be mistaken."  

-- George F Kennan
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"...Anything that I've done right, I will continue to keep doing;
And anything that I've done wrong, I will reflect on it and repent.

There are also the things that I should've done, but didn't do: Those are my disappointments.

There are also things that I shouldn't have done, but did anyway: Those are my regrets...."


-- Kwon Ki-Young, Nae Yeonaeui Modeungeot,
 Episode 16 (final) @ ~17:30
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"The little bit you and me might change the world."
Malloy smiled.
"It wouldn't show up until a hundred years after we were dead.
We'd never see it."

"But it'd be there."


-- James Jones, From Here To Eternity

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

No comments:

Post a Comment